Monday, September 2, 2013

Hot Pink Stiletto

I sat on the floor playing with a naked Barbie doll that had one neon pink stiletto hanging on by the toe. One of my older brothers had stolen all of her clothing so that now her perfectly rounded boobs were perpetually on display along with her smoothed over would be vagina or “who-who” as Mom called it back then. For the hundredth time, I tried to jam the shoe back on to the foot with my brows fowled out of frustration.
            Mommy, can always make it stay.
            Fifteen minutes had passed since she’d sat me on the floor and told me to play with my doll before going outside. I jumped onto the back of the couch and strained to look out the corner of the window, moving around for different angles. Up and down trying to catch a glimpse of Mom. She was too far away for me to see so I ran to the front door, throwing it open. My bare feet burned on the hot dirt, we couldn’t get grass to grow ever, as I hopped off the porch too see where Mom had gone.
            She was standing in our rock driveway, leaning through the window of my Dad’s Oldsmobile. They were talking swiftly, unaware of my presence. As I got closer, he lifted his head and saw me. I waved excitedly.
            That’s why Mommy didn’t want me to come outside. She wanted Daddy to be a surprise.
            Mom straighten and starting back up the driveway to meet me. As she got closer I could see the blotches on her cheeks. Raising my arms, she lifted me into her chest. “What’s wrong? Isn’t Daddy staying?” I asked looking over her shoulder as the Oldsmobile backed slowly out of the driveway then sped up the street.

            “He said he doesn’t love me anymore.” She responded opening the door again and sitting me back on the floor, this time turning on the T.V.  Kicking the Barbie and the stiletto as she passed, she disappeared behind the bedroom door and didn’t return.

No comments:

Post a Comment